Summer Jewelry Care
The heat of summer is upon us and weekend warriors who have been busy with home repairs during quarantine are continuing their work through the summer. This is the time of year that we hear tales of bent rings, crushed bracelets and missing stones due to gardening, use of tools and summer adventures. We’ve put together a few tips to help you keep your jewelry intact and looking as lovely as the day you bought it.
- Get your prongs checked! To make sure you don’t lose stones while you’re hiking, biking or traveling stop by the store and have someone check your setting. We recommend having your prongs checked every 3-6 months to ensure that they are tight around the stone and aren’t missing any tips.
- Take your jewelry OFF! Whether you are working in the garden, doing household chores, lifting heavy objects or going swimming, we recommend taking your jewelry off. Tools and harsh chemicals can damage jewelry. Chorine, salt water and other chemicals can change the color or strip the finish off metals, it can also strip the polish off stones. Pressure from the grip of your hand while working out or using tools can change the shape of your rings too. So when in doubt: JEWELRY OFF!
- No lotions or creams! We know it’s the season of sunblock and we 100% support you using it, but make sure you take your jewelry off before you apply. Lotions and creams will fill every nook and cranny of your ring setting, the spaces in your necklace chain and make your jewelry look dingy. So to emphasize rule #2: JEWELRY OFF! Don’t worry if you forget- you can always come see us and we will happily clean your jewelry for you to help make it shine again.
- Keep it clean! If you don’t have time to stop by the store you can clean your jewelry at home. We highly recommend using warm soapy water to rinse your jewelry. This is safe even for pearls- just make sure you lay them flat until they are completely dry and don’t soak or leave them in water too long. If you have lotion or dirt stuck in your settings- we recommend using a soft toothbrush or makeup brush to help loosen the debris. Just wet the brush and give your jewelry a gentle scrub. If it doesn’t come clean the first time, just give the setting another brush and rinse in warm soapy water again.
- Keep it safe! When you aren’t wearing your jewelry be sure to keep it in a safe place. Jewelry boxes and armoires that are lined with velvet or soft material are a great way to keep all your pieces safe and well cared for. If you’re traveling, consider a jewelry pouch or zipper case with compartments to keep things organized while you are on your adventures. We love these cases by Wolf Designs.
Caroline Medium Jewelry Case $310.00
Caroline Zip Travel Case $85.00
Palermo Jewelry Roll $160.00
Your jewelry will look great catching the light of the summer sun! So make sure you wear your jewelry with a smile and let those gems sparkle!